LII (Librarians' Internet Index) is a web directory maintained and indexed by public librarians. It lists over twenty thousands entries under thirteen main categories that are evaluated by public librarians. Each entry has a short description of the site as well as web address. Listed sites are for general interests. A popular example is the LII.
LII stated in the early 1990s by Carole Leta, a reference librarian and merged in 1994 to Berkeley Public Library and renamed Berkeley Public Library Index to the Internet. In 1997, the directory moved to UC Berkeley SunSITE and renamed Librarians' Index to the Internet.
- Search engine optimization
- Search engine
- ↑ Comparison among major web directories is found, for example, at UC Berkeley Library. It gives a comparative analysis of major web directories. Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- ↑ Paul Festa (December 27, 1999), Web search results still have human touch, CNET News.com. Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 How do I add my web site to the Yahoo! Directory?, Yahoo! website. Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- ↑ Yahoo! Directory Submit, Yahoo! website. Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- Hock, Randolph. The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher. Medford, N.J.: CyberAge Books, 2004. ISBN 9780910965682
- NetLibrary, Inc. The Hutchinson Directory of Web Sites. Abingdon, Oxon: Helicon Pub, 2004. ISBN 9781417536252
- Schlein, Alan M., Peter J. Weber, and J.J. Newby. Find It Online: The Complete Guide to Online Research. Tempe, AZ: Facts on Demand Press, 2002. ISBN 9781889150291
- Sherman, Chris, and Gary Price. The Invisible Web: Uncovering Information Sources Search Engines Can't See. Medford, N.J.: CyberAge Books, 2001. ISBN 9780910965514
- Tomaiuolo, Nicholas G., and Barbara Quint. The Web Library: Building a World Class Personal Library with Free Web Resources. Medford, N.J.: Information Today, 2004. ISBN 9780910965675
All links retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Librarians' Internet Index Web directory created and maintained by public librarians.
- Yahoo! Directory
- The Open Directory Project
- Recommended Subject Directories, UC Berkeley - Teaching Library. Internet Workshops.